Friday, January 07, 2005

Old School (2003)

Actually I'll give it this much... It DOES get old quick

Genre: Comedy

Starring: Luke Wilson (The Family Stone; The Royal Tenenbaums) Will Ferrell (Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby; Elf)

Directed By: Todd Phillips (Road Trip; Starsky & Hutch)

Overview: He moves into a place off campus, and his friends convince him to turn it into a Frat house, so they can relive their glory days.

Acting: Will Ferrell did as well as he always does, if you like that sort of thing. I really liked him in Elf, but something about him here just didn't impress me as much. Vince Vaughn was great too. I'll tell you this though: I hate Snoop Dogg, and why didn't Rob Corddry have any lines? His greatest moment was nodding? As if.
Rating: 7

Cinematography: 'Cross Fades' a friend of mine exalted. So what? It was professional but nothing neat to look at. I had to gets my kicks out of the plot. *SIGH*
Rating: 6

Script: "Once it touches your lips...It's so GOOD!"
That wedding singer in the beginning was my favorite scene.
The script, admittedly had some great moments, (do I have to repeat that Snoop Dogg was NOT one of them?) and they were apropos, but again, nothing too impressive.
Rating: 7

Plot: The weakest link. It starts off really great, some good promise, then it turns into a lame version of Animal House, which I guess is fair, at least SNL is allowed to rip off itself. The Frat house goes through these trials at the end intended to give this movie a plot. They try their best and succeed, but end up getting flunked anyways, but Oh My! Justice prevails in the most typical formulaic style.
Rating: 4

Mood: A Drunken Will Ferrell streaking and getting shot with tranquilizer darts, blowjob classes and KY Wrestling. The mood was definitely Frat Boy, and Will holds it up for sure. As a comedy it held true, but nothing spectacular, sorry.
Rating: 7

"Turn arooound, bright eyes... every fuckin' time I fall apart...I need you now tonight... I fuckin' need you more than EVAH!"

Overall Rating: 62% (Old Hat)

Aftertaste: I tried to like it. I really did. One of my best friends showed me the best scenes and I swore, eventually, I'd get around to watching the whole thing. How was I to know that those three scenes were the best in the whole movie? This movie really did nothing for me. If I wanted to see Animal House, I'd watch it. If I wanted to see Van Wilder, which, ugh, I unfortunately did... Ok this was tons better than Van Wilder. I'll at least give it that.