Sunday, April 24, 2005

Party Monster (2003)

Yipee, the creepy NYC Club Kid Scene, where everyone's cool if they spent 4 hours on their drag outfit...

Genre: Comedy Crime Drama (USA, Netherlands)

Starring: Macaulay Culkin (Home Alone; The Good Son), Seth Green (The Italian Job; "The Family Guy")

Directed By: Fenton Bailey & Randy Barbato (Inside Deep Throat)
Overview: This is the true story of NYC club kid and party organizer Michael Alig, famous for killing his drug dealer.

Acting: Clive Owen does a great job, so does the woman who plays his wife. Fez from "That 70s Show"? As if. Macaulay does a pretty good pretentious sissy, maybe not so much of a stretch for him. Seth Green was an embarrassment to cinema.
Rating: 3

Cinematography:
As we approach the end, there are actually a few artsy shots that made me reconsider the rating I was going to give for the low-budget cameras and the clichés at the beginning. Not good enough.
Rating: 4

Script:
The writing, sadly, is a good rendition of the pretentious of the Club Kid scene. No I don't know that much about it, but I've known my share of flaming queens and their pathetic displays of selfishness. No doubt this was written by a queen for the queens. Not my demographic sister! *snap snap*
Rating: 5

Plot:
The plot has a good premise: immersion into a lifestyle we know nothing about, so it's new and we explore the early days of a burgeoning NYC clique, but it really wasn't entertaining. I honestly could care less for self-centered little pricks. There's no 'everyman' to this at all, and when this kid suffers, I'm glad.
Rating: 4

Mood:
The costumes and the drug lifestyle is definitely ever-present, and I'm sure it does itself justice, but this movie had a way of having the characters speak directly to the audience and queuing up scenes... It just didn't work. The score for the scenes at home too, very low budget.
Rating: 5

I don't even want to explore the possibility of a caption, it's too icky

Overall Rating: 42% (Poopers!)

Aftertaste: I expected much worse. If you can get through the first 10 minutes, (or in my case, swore an oath to) then the rest almost becomes palpable. I have seen worse movies than this, really. Still, this movie will only be remembered infamously as the one I was forced to watch, to spread the evil of it. Do NOT bother with this trash. Seth Green was completely retarded in this. Clive?!! What the hell were you thinking?! Thank God for making up for it in Sin City.