Friday, May 27, 2005

The End of Neon Genesis Evangelion (1996)


"Betty? I left you alone for 10 minutes what did you do to the PLANET?!"

Genre: Sci-Fi Action Fantasy Drama Animé (Japan)

Starring: Megumi Ogata, Megumi Hayashibara (Cowboy Bebop: The Movie; Vampire Hunter D)

Directed By: Hideaki Anno (Neon Genesis Evangelion; Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death & Rebirth), Kazuya Tsurumaki (FLCL)

Overview: The final episodes on the TV Series, The EVA Project comes to a head in a final epic battle.

Acting: As with most animé the voice actors know what their doing. Perhaps something is lost (or gained) in the language, but it seems good to me.
Rating: 7

Cinematography: Violent, graphic detail, not gory so much as realistic. The combat above the treetops and the assault on the base was the best part of the show. As for the end, they imagery was stunning, I'm sure, but overall it was that style of animé that we're all too familiar with. They tended to focus on the story rather than the images.
Rating: 6

Script: The script was beyond me. I grasped the tip of the iceberg about what they were talking about, the earth's rebirth and the epic concepts of reality, but the symbolism definitelytely lost on me (again I blame my late entry). The worst thing though was the terrible grammar and translation, not to mention the timing of the subtitles and the fact that often the words were chopped off the screen, and even something as simple as a spell check wasn't used. Atrocious!
Rating: 3

Plot: I guess I really should have watched the whole show from the beginning. I should have figured that jumping in at the end wouldn't be the wisest choice. Sure, stuff was lost to me when they began to speak jargon that I'm sure was explained 20 episodes ago, but as a grande finale, it seemed fine. I got most of it. Until the end. Then I was entirely lost. Don't see this unless you've seen the rest.
Rating: 4

Mood: The images were grand and panoramic and if I had any idea what was going on, I'm sure the symbolism and metaphors would have been very inspiring and original. Sadly, the mood was too deep to get into.
Rating: 4

Well it's got guns and naked chicks and Cabalistic paradigms of creation... I mean it's got it all right?!

Overall Rating: 48% (Too Epic to see as a Stand-Alone)

Aftertaste: If you know anything about Animé, then you've heard of Evangelion. You may not know too much, but you know that it's for hardcore fans, and you might as well look into it, just a little bit. Well don't do it this way. The first hour was fun to follow, because it was all infiltration and combat, but then we got into these vast metaphors of the Universe, Godhood and Creation... I don't think people may even get it if they follow the series from the beginning... I even debated not rating this at all, since it's not a movie so much as it is two final episodes. Maybe I'll go back and watch the synopsis (as boring as I'm told it was)...