Saturday, July 09, 2005

Batman Begins (2005)

He's not ACTUALLY a bat, he just uses them cause they're spooky, hope I didn't ruin anything for ya...

Genre: Action Adventure Crime Fantasy Drama

Starring: Christian Bale (American Psycho; The Secret Agent), Michael Caine (Sleuth; Around The Bend)

Directed By: Christopher Nolan (Memento; The Prestige)

Overview: Gotham City is rotting. The metropolis needs a saviour. The Dark Knight is born.

Acting: The acting! I mean look at that lineup! I would have liked to have seen a bit of a darker Oldman, we know he's so good at it, but honestly this movie's portrayals are amazing. You will not be disappointed in the least.
Rating: 8

Cinematography: The only thing you will regret are those nightmarish scenes, for they are far too short. "The horror is most effective in short bursts" I suppose they'll say, in that incredibly effective style used in The Ring. I guess I wanted more of an eyeful in that one too. This is one of the most gorgeous movies you will see this year, no doubt. Gotham is bleak, and it's damn pretty to watch.
Rating: 9

Script: The writing had one or two groaners that seemed out of place for this brilliant production, some comic one-liners, some cheesy romantic moments with Katie Holmes, but I was stunningly surprised at the fact that the motives and characterizations were elaborate, and assumed that the audience was intelligent, instead of that tragic T3: Rise of the Machines blow stuff up mindlessness. I just wished the horror of the Scarecrow had been more. I wish he'd had more lines, lots more scary, freakish lines.
Rating: 8

Plot: The story is amazing! The end is amazing, the middle is amazing, the beginning with the training, that didn't need to go on so much, quite obviously this was there to appease the marketing guys with all the overzealous explosions and close calls, but once we get back to Gotham and the transformation begins, a fire wouldn't have dragged me out of that theater.
Rating: 9

Mood: The I started seeing what they did with the fear, and with the theme of fear, and the expectation immediately jumped to the top. I wished for more darkness, and I hoped for more cackling madness. It WAS there, and the film had so much perfect focus too, but half way through I knew it wouldn't be all about the mood that I truly wanted. Wow though, this is still great.
Rating: 9


And the long-awaited for romantic kiss...

Overall Rating: 86% (Terrifyingly, Heroically Great)

Aftertaste: In a way I was disappointed that it only was this good. People raved and ranted about how great a movie this is. Damn right it's great. Run out and see this in theaters right away, honestly, the DVD will NOT do it justice. I loved this movie and you will too, but I was hoping for a little more. The could have cut down on the training a little, drawn out the end a touch more and upped the creepy dialogue, a madness inducing Arkham Asylum scene. I drempt of perfection and I didn't quite get it, but Christian is getting to be my new favorite actor. Ever seen The Machinist? Good stuff!