Wednesday, December 28, 2005

A Detour Through My Film-loving Mind (December 2005)

If you haven't heard of this book, you won't have been alone, because until recently I hadn't heard of it myself. I went into the one of the Conglomerates of Evil Inc., Chapters, and looked around, just browsing. My guest and I ended up in the movie section looking at such things as illustrated diaries of the making of Apocalypse Now and a steel covered making of Full Metal Jacket. These film histories, though neat to browse, aren't ever anything I would ever want.

Then I saw this.

I looked through this book for about 40 seconds before I decided I had to have it. I took down the ISBN number and the publisher, called my local indy bookstore and ordered it for Christmas, from Mommy. There really wasn't anything else on my list this year and this book, 3 days after getting it has created a new paradigm in my approach to 'the repertoire', and I'm even more into film than I used to be, much to the dismay of my friends, I'll bet. It's really great to know that I have a bit of help in seeing films I didn't know were Classics. It's great to have help with films I've never even HEARD of. Better still, having a tome (it's HUGE) to use when presenting a film to reluctant viewers adds a nice weight to my argument.

I just thought I would let you know in advance why your host to the Vituperatem is going through all these old silent films and modern classics.

After long and hard contemplation about how to let you all know that a movie I just watched comes from this book, I've decided that rather than put these in it's own little highlighted text, I'll simply let you know at the beginning of my Aftertaste section that it's a suggested viewing.

Anyways, have yourself a wonderful Holiday Season and catch up on all the little things you wanted to do months ago!

I know I will.