Sunday, December 04, 2005

Serenity (2005)

"Look behind me the reactor's going to explode?! Are you seriously expecting me to fall for that old gag!"

Genre:
Action Adventure Sci-Fi Thriller Western

Starring: Nathan Fillion (Slither), Gina Torres ("Cleopatra 2525"; "24")

Directed By: Joss Whedon ("Firefly"; "Buffy The Vampire Slayer")

Overview: The film adaptation of the television series Firefly. In this tale we learn more about the Reavers and uncover a few mysteries about a government project living on the ship: River Tam, one of the characters.

Acting: The actors do a great job, as they always have in the show. I wouldn't say it was any better, however the new ninja assassin guy chasing them also did an amazing job. Let's give them the same rating I did for the series.
Rating: 8

Cinematography: I actually expected the budget to be much higher, then I realized that the show had quite the impressive budget itself. Again, as in the series, the special effects are just enough to be interesting without going overboard and the settings were appropriate. Man, Reaver space is awesome. Oh, right, amazing space combat too.
Rating: 8

Script: Such good writing as rivals the original series abounds. However there were two corny scenes. One so bad that I writhed around in my seat at how bad it was. Romance monologues in the middle of deadly combat doesn't work for me, but still, the writing of our Mr. Joss Whedon is amazing. Great stuff.
Rating: 8

Plot: The plots of the series always entertained me greatly. Watching this and having them focus on the very things that I was most curious about keeps the score way up there. Might I add that the climactic moment was not one action-packed stressful thing, but three. It's terrific. I was sitting on the edge of my seat wondering if everyone was going to die, and no I'm not telling!
Rating: 9

Mood: The mood suffered a touch here. I don't care how skilled you are, an 80 pound girl surrounded by a bunch of maniacal rapists is not going to kick all their asses, I'm sorry. For that alone (and she does this 'kick everyone's ass without a scratch' stunt twice) it loses points. The rest however, absolutely fun.
Rating: 8
"Er... I think someone's face is stowing away under my butt..."

Overall Rating: 82% (Cowboys in Space! How Can You Go Wrong?!)


Aftertaste: The movie was a real nice thing for the fans of the series. It resolved just enough of my issues and burning questions and though it saddens me to say goodbye to such an epic, all good things must come to an end. Bon Voyage!