Monday, March 06, 2006

Midnight Cowboy (1969)

Here's a movie with not just one, but TWO characters you don't give a damn about!

Genre: Drama

Starring: Jon Voight (Deliverance; National Treasure), Dustin Hoffman (Meet The Fockers; Straw Dogs)

Directed By: John Schlesinger (Pacific Heights; Marathon Man)

Overview:
A man moves to New York to strike it big as a hustler. He and his crippled, sickly new friend try to eke out a meager existence.

Acting: I was frankly let down by Jon Voight's role. I don't know if it's the fact that I didn't like his character, or that the film overall was convoluted, but it's no Deliverance, that's for sure. What can you say about Hoffman? He's a genius, but the direction overall didn't impress.
Rating: 6

Cinematography: There was a scene in a drug bar that really worked, some of the cut scenes flashing back to our hero's youth were decent and attempted artistry, but I also noticed some really weak camerawork from time to time, stuff that made be raise an eyebrow. Let's say good but distracting.
Rating: 6

Script: "I'm walkin' here! I'm WALKIN' HERE!"

Yep. The famous line that everyone spouts, having no clue where it's from except 'New York'. Well that's Dustin Hoffman smacking the hood of a cab that gets too close. Sadly, there is nothing else memorable about this script. I really liked the young woman's role during the sex scene, but sadly it doesn't hold up the rest, and they say 'Fag' way too often.
Rating: 6

Plot: The story is a good premise: Man goes in search for dreams, finds sick loser, misery loves company, great. The trip however was this messed up all-over-the-place ride without any real direction. There's a party, there pneumonia, there's some grungy NYC living. Search me, didn't do it for me at all.
Rating: 5

Mood: This film opens with some of the worst music you'll ever hear. Get used to it, because they play it over and over. Did I mention how convoluted this film was? I don't know exactly what High-Art this director was trying to pull, but most of the time, it was just bad editing, but was Oscar-nominated for Best Editing. This is why I don't watch the Oscars...
Rating: 6

Man, like it's so artsy, you know, so real. It's like the New York you know, man. You know, the BORING one.

Overall Rating: 58% (Don't Bother To Dig In Your Spurs, No Matter What Time It Is)

Aftertaste: This won THREE Academy Awards! Best Picture, Director, and Screenplay. Everyone in 1969 must have been high! This was not a good film! There were some pretty impressive scenes and I got the cultural message, but Holy, it must have been a slow year for film! Me and my guest found this film just plain strange. Bleh.