Thursday, December 30, 2004

XXX - Dolls (2002) - XXX

Genre: Romantic Drama

Starring: Miho Kanno, Hidetoshi Nishijima

Directed By: Takeshi Kitano

Overview: Three stories of tainted love.

Acting: All the parts were well acted. The beginning of the movie had the characters all vacant and forlorn, and it really drew me in. They all did a great job.
Rating: 7

Cinematography: Perfect. Majestic and glorious, the visual aspect of this film is impeccable. Panoramic scenes of all seasons, vivid costumes, ingenious dream sequences and multiple styles will guarantee that you are not disappointed in this realm. I give it the highest rating possible.
Rating: 10

Script: Nothing here was poorly written. This movie did not have a plethora of speaking lines, but it was clear and well presented.
Rating: 7

Plot: I like that the three stories blend into each other just enough to provide a sense of wholeness, but the continuity escaped me now and then. Sometimes I felt a little lost, wondering what scene was for what story, but it always became clear to me. Unfortunately this movie had no tremendously grand sense of drama so the way the story went didn't do much for me.
Rating: 6

Mood: I quite enjoyed it. Slow and painstaking, the mood really carried the plot. Imagery and symbolism were ripe and everpresent, but always appropriately displayed. Great Job.
Rating: 8

Overall Rating: 76% (Very Nice!)

Aftertaste: Unfortunately, though it was a good movie, it really didn't do much for me. Each part had an ending, but they didn't seem very solid. This movie will most likely fade fairly quickly for me, but I'm a jaded Gen 'X'er.