Tuesday, January 04, 2005

When Harry Met Sally... (1989)

He said 'HI'. She said 'HI', you know like that, it's easy

Genre: Romantic Comedy

Starring: Billy Crystal (Analyze This; City Slickers), Meg Ryan (D.O.A.; You've Got Mail)

Directed By: Rob Reiner (Ghosts Of Mississippi; A Few Good Men)

Overview: The haphazard love story of two friends living in New York.

Acting: Billy Crystal and his "White man's overbite", his spitting seeds out the car window, his way of making the darkest things, like famine, funny. Meg Ryan does a great job of being "high maintenance who thinks she's low maintenance". The two work really well together. The chemistry may not have been 100% bang on, but they act like it...
Rating: 9

Cinematography: Great outdoor scenes of New York in the all seasons, cityscapes, museums all add to the classic cinematography style of this film, but no special effects, nothing new or challenging, just very professional.
Rating: 7

Script: One of the best romantic comedies I've ever seen in my life, the script is scathingly hilarious. With one of the best known scenes in film, (Meg Ryan's fake orgasm in a diner), this category has to get the highest rating possible. Really, it's that good.
Rating: 10

Plot: As romantic comedies go, the plot is intricate. These people meet, hate each other, and go their separate ways, several times, over several years. Over the years they eventually become friends and share in carrying each other's baggage. It's classic with a twist.
Rating: 8

Mood: The romantic comedy must obviously have this film as one of it's yardsticks. Punch-Drunk Love and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind obviously decided to appeal to the crowd that prefers an idea followed by romance, much like the natural style of When Harry Met Sally. This is a movie first and a romance second. For the male demographic, it's a much safer bet. In my mind, the mood is just right.
Rating: 9

"Mile High Club?"

Overall Rating: 86% (They Met, They Had Good Times)

Aftertaste: You won't regret renting this for your girlfriend. I taped this movie when I was 16 on my old VHS and watched it over and over again, it was so funny to me. Then I found this on sale for under 7 bucks. Can't go wrong. It brings back those nostalgic days when I watched movies like this over and over. It makes me want to go out and buy Yellow Submarine and Deep Cover which I've seen about 10 times or so. It brought back some of the old quotes I used to spout, and now that I remember them, they're back in rotation.