Sunday, February 27, 2005

Shrek 2 (2004)

"It's over, you can wake up now..."

Genre:
Animated Family Adventure Fantasy Comedy

Starring: Mike Myers (Wayne's World; So I Married An Axe Murderer), Eddie Murphy (The Nutty Professor; Beverly Hills Cop)

Directed By: Andrew Adamson (Shrek; The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe), Kelly Asbury (Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron; The Thief of Always), Conrad Vernon

Overview: The fairy tale continues as Prince Charming decides that he wants to have the old human princess back and married to him, instead of that big green ogre.

Acting: I actually had a couple issues with Cameron Diaz's voice in this one. I actually can't put my finger on it. Otherwise Eddie Murphy kicked ass (pardon the pun) as per usual. Everything else was well done too, though I would have liked a bit more drama from Puss.
Rating: 7

Cinematography:
The animation was as great as the last one, very professional and well detailed. I think we all know that goin' in though, I mean when you're all CGI, you really have no excuse.
Rating: 8

Script:
The script was well written and there were no hitches, though I expected far more laughs. I laughed a lot harder in the original.
Rating: 7

Plot:
The plot is solid, and throughout, the logic remains. Very fantastical and as good as you would have expected. The plot, I admit may be even better than the first, lots more edge of your seat action.
Rating: 8

Mood:
The score was one hit catchy lyrical song after the other. I really found this distracting. Every time a song came on it took away from the scene, which I found rather odd. I guess like I've heard about A Knight's Tale, you can't mix medieval with hard rock. Other than that, this is pretty excellent. Medieval stereotypes mixed with every cameo or reference imaginable.
Rating: 7

"What you don't like my special ingredient? The special ingredient is 'love'."
"Ewwwww!!!!"


Overall Rating: 74% (As Good As You Knew It Would Be)

Aftertaste: These kinds of movies are always a safe bet, and it was good. But the things I kept hearing about how this one was better than the first? Overrated. I still think the original is better and I really wasn't that impressed with this one. It's good and the kids'll like it and all that, but for me, not all that memorable.