Thursday, February 03, 2005

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004)

Eyepatches and uniforms... why I can only think of BDSM... that must be my issue...

Genre: Action Adventure Mystery Sci-Fi Thriller (USA, UK, Italy)

Starring: Jude Law (Cold Mountain; Enemy At The Gates), Gwyneth Paltrow (Se7en; The Talented Mr. Ripley)

Directed By: Kerry Conran

Overview: As scientists go missing, an unknown foe controls an army of robots, but to what end? Sky Captain to the rescue!!!

Acting: The acting was great. They took characters and made them caricatures, and it worked really well. All professionals and I really dig Jude, Giovanni and Jolie.
Rating: 8

Cinematography:
The special effects weren't perfect. I know, I know, it was the WHOLE movie, and I should see it for the whole film, not just the parts where Jude Law's hand melds with the thing he's holding, or the obviousness of the green screen background, but honestly, lens effects and washed out faces can't make up for the odd , "What's that there?" Overall though... Holy Jumpin' this is effin' amazing.
Rating: 8

Script:
The script was good while still being fun as well as full of information. The zingers between Gwyneth and Law were great, though I really would have liked a touch more 50s references in the dialogue.
Rating: 7

Plot:
The plot, holy amazing, though I wish they hadn't done all that Shangri-La stuff, I was really into the city scenes and the robot attacks, wow! The plot was perfectly predictable in that comic way, while still being so sci-fi out there. Really great.
Rating: 8

Mood:
The film was all mood. I think you knew that going in, and I can confirm it coming out. This is made for the Big Screen, and I'm sorry that I didn't see it there, but hell, the DVD has all the special features, so I get something else. The comic book kisch characters meld perfectly with the 1950s atmosphere and the lasers and robots. Wow. I really don't know how anyone could try any harder at making a movie any more representative of the era it was intended to represent, while still taking it that extra mile and blending it with our generation. Thank you Industrial Light and Magic...
Rating: 10

Final score... Ford Hardtop = 0; Alien laser beams = 34546

Overall Rating: 82% (Super Fun!)

Aftertaste: The long awaited film I ended up seeing... I built up the hype so much that it let me down in the end yes, I know, but it's good, and it's a masterpiece of technical skill. I really would have liked some more plot twists and that sort of thing, more dated dialogue would have been nice to chuckle at too. I guess they erred on the side of caution, just to make sure that they weren't overdoing it.