Sunday, June 19, 2005

The Aviator (2004)

"Are you f***ing my plane? I asked you a question. Are you F***ing my plane!"

Genre: Drama (USA, Germany)

Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio (What's Eating Gilbert Grape; Titanic), Cate Blanchett (The Life Aquatic; Babel)

Directed By: Martin Scorsese (Goodfellas; Taxi Driver)

Overview: The life and times of millionaire Howard Hughes, including his affair with aviation, film and Katharine Hepburn.

Acting: I'm sure Scorsese doesn't settle for less than the best, and for as much as I may not be a fan of Leo, he's turning into a fine little actor, a nice portrayal of determination and madness. Keanu could take a lesson or two off of this guy. Everyone else does excellent jobs in their roles too, but like I said, Scorsese won't settle for less.
Rating: 9

Cinematography: The pretty sets and the huge halls and the airstrips full of planes. The costumes and the hairdos and the Brillcream and the way of life...Scorsese captures the period perfectly, at least as far as I am able to tell... Amazing. And from time to time they threw in these sepia touched shots to give us a feel of a soon to be colourized past, and they did it just enough times to get the point across without disturbing us. Nicely done.
Rating: 9

Script: The writing was fairly original too. If Katherine Hepburn was genuinely that much of a spitfire, her life might also be interesting to showcase. The dialogue at that public hearing was damn dramatic, but I expected more grand speeches and more... Hughesy attitude. It was good just not mindblowing.
Rating: 7

Plot: The story is great. I knew nothing about this guy, I just thought Hughes was a millionaire's millionaire, but he lived in the height of changing times, a genius of an inventor with deep OCD. I wish it had ended with us knowing how it ends, but otherwise nice story.
Rating: 8

Mood: The mood was all roaring wealth with a rollercoaster of financial and emotional ups and downs, with inquests and inventions. The fact that this was a period piece made it even better. Long after the movie was over, I was still thinking about those gin joints and cigarette girls...
Rating: 9


Overall Rating: 84% (Fly to See This!)

Aftertaste: The beginning started somewhat in the middle, the end ended somewhat in the middle. It would have been nice to shorten this movie just to add how he made his drill bit millions, it would have been nice to know what happened to him in the end, like one of those black background text things. I liked it, I liked it a lot, it was pretty stunning and no one will ever hate this movie, but it would have been nice to conclude on a note that wasn't "You wanna know how this ends? Go look him up online."