Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Goodfellas (1990) - * TOP 5 *

A dark bunch of guys indeed.

Genre: Gangster Crime Drama

Starring: Robert De Niro (Angel Heart; Godsend), Ray Liotta (Copland; Unlawful Entry)

Directed By: Martin Scorsese (The Aviator; Taxi Driver)

Overview: Based on a true story this classic film shows us a glimpse of a man's rise into the underworld of the Mafia.

Acting: It's Martin Scorsese! It's Pesci, Liotta and De Niro! As if it's even fair to everyone else!
Rating: 10

Cinematography: The beautiful shots, like the one introducing all the mobsters as we drift through the restaurant, the one where he takes his wife through the kitchen of the restaurant, the one where they're loading stuff in the restaurant and carting it out the back, the one where they're torching the restaurant. Real versatile style and settings. Wow.
Rating: 8

Script: You have got to be kidding me!
"You think I'm funny? Funny How? Funny like a clown, I'm here to amuse you?"
"Ma, you want me to settle down? I settle down every night. In the morning I'm free."
"I like this painting. One dog goes one way, the other dog goes the other way."
Rating: 10

Plot: Oh my god, the trip we take for this masterpiece eh? The callous Pesci, the every(dark)man Liotta, the cautious and calculating De Niro. If this were just a character study, it would still be awesome, but sadly, it's got a plot, so it's AMAZINGLY unfair to everyone else! Oh my God that gun in the neighbor's face scene, oh! OH!
Rating: 9

Mood: The pervasive crime made to look fun and deadly dangerous at the same time. The score fit the time, the decor too... Scorcese captured it perfectly, didn't he? We know why people are gangsters. We know why there's organized crime. It's cause it's FUN! (but wrong, terribly wrong.. and crime never ever pays... Ever...)
Rating: 9

"Ma, can I borrow a butcher knife? Vito in the trunk just won't seem to die..."

Overall Rating: 92% (You Haven't Seen This?! Wassa Madda Witchoo?)

Aftertaste: I'll watch this over and over again. It's one of those movies you can pop in and just watch a scene or two and be happy getting back to it later, like Pulp Fiction. It still surprises me that Scorsese hasn't won an Oscar. Who the hell did he piss off?