Saturday, June 25, 2005

Predator (1987)

Both Shwartzy and Predator have come a long way since these good old days...

Genre: Action Horror Sci-Fi Thriller

Starring: Arnold Schwarzenegger (The Terminator; True Lies), Carl Weathers (Happy Gilmore; Rocky II)

Directed By: John McTiernan (Basic; The Hunt For Red October)

Overview: A commando Search and Rescue team find themselves hunted as they return from a mission in the jungle.

Acting: The acting is fine, if not a little super-heroic. The 80s were the days of big hair and big parts, I know, I know. It's a bunch of tough guys being tough. It's more about the nostalgia for me...
Rating: 6

Cinematography: The jungle is everywhere! It must have been pretty hard to shoot in that setting, but it was really well done. The night assault and all the explosions were top notch, if a little too perfect. Stunts and that alien P.O.V... great stuff.
Rating: 8

Script: The script mirrors the acting in this. The lines are statements of the too obvious: "The mud. He didn't see me", or grand declarations of bravado and one liners: "Hang around..." after nailing someone to a post with a machete or "Knock, Knock!" after kicking open a door and blasting the people on the other side. But at the same time, it has its place in this movie. Again... Nostalgia.
Rating: 6

Plot: The plot, granted, is thin, thin, thin. Intro, go to the mission, talk on the chopper, explosion, explosion. Head back home, survival, death, survival, showdown. Simplicity has it's place, but without good acting or script the plot has to be a little better than this. The big bug fight at the end makes up for it, but still weak.
Rating: 6

Mood: From what I would guess, I'd bet this is one of the first "my crazy alien perspective vision cam" films. I like it. It's really effective in getting that alien stalker look going. Oh wait, Liquid Sky did that alien perspective thing, but that movie is queer underground so it doesn't count. It's Sci-Fi, it's cool, the alien is creepy stalky and if you like Alien with a Commando twist, this is for you.
Rating: 8

Why is the chick the only one without makeup?

Overall Rating: 68% (Just Under The Tripwire...)

Aftertaste: I borrowed this from a guy at work and all night I was thinking "Boy do I ever wanna watch this when I get home". I watched it, I liked it, and I liked it a lot. Turns out I like Schwarzenegger. I mean Total Recall and Running Man? Come on! Hell, I even liked 6th Day. Eraser not so much, and ugh Last Action Hero... But even Kindergarten Cop kicked ass, and if he kept making movies, I'd keep watching them. As a governor he's even well received, so keep it up. Though I do wish he would stop collecting HumVees...