Thursday, July 28, 2005

The Fly (1986)

That's actually the original quote from the original film.

Genre: Drama Horror Sci-Fi Thriller (USA, Canada, UK)

Starring: Jeff Goldblum (Jurrasic Park; Deep Cover), Gena Davis (Thelma And Louise; A League Of Their Own)

Directed By: David Cronenberg (Dead Ringers; Naked Lunch)

Overview: A man builds a teleporter, and like all fanatical scientists, falls prey to his own experiments.

Acting: The curse of the 80s... Melodrama. Yes it's good, but in that big hair, too much big everything else kind of way. Yes, big is the way of the 80s and it's prevalent here, but I think it was a sign of the times. Hell, who knows, maybe in the 80s we were less jaded and it's us looking back at a time that no longer exists, but did then? What a messed up spatial conundrum huh? Well, you know what? It's not really, if you compare to "A-Team" and "MacGuyver"... then you see that argument as lame as the acting was. Sorry Brundle, you're over the top.
Rating: 6

Cinematography: The images were pretty standard, but the gore effects were pretty fancy-pantsy, I must say. And they weren't stingy on it either. Nothing high-art here, but it's fine.
Rating: 7

Script: The script seemed to waiver between really believable, and far too explanatory for this to be an audienceless, realistic dialogue between people. Sure she's a journalist trying to learn, but if I was a scientist still waiting on a patent, I'd shut my frikken yap.
Rating: 7

Plot: The story on the other hand is a nice flow for a metamorphosis plot. Kafka's got nothing on this guy. The fanaticism grows, the madness and the mutations, the inner struggle, awesome stuff, climactic ending!
Rating: 8

Mood: When I noticed that Davis Cronenberg directed this, having made other such films as eXistenZ, Naked Lunch, and Dead Ringers, it became obvious that his hand was in this. He really seems to enjoy warped and twisted freak fusions of alien things. I was quite pleased with the mood of this film, though I wished that there was more twisted and less logic in the transformation.
Rating: 7

"What? What? Do I have something on my face?"

Overall Rating: 70% (Not the Biggest Buzz, But Still Fun)

Aftertaste: Definitely better than the original, this one sadly does not have the famous 1958 quote, "Be afraid... Be very afraid" Wow. I liked it. It's a little more melodramatic than what I remembered but the progression from man to fly-thing is believable and the motivations of the "Brundlefly" are trés realistic. Good stuff. I, myself, liked it tons more than the rating I gave it.