Sunday, November 26, 2006

The Freshman (1925)

There's really nothing masculine about having your arms ass deep behind a man's balls

Genre: Silent Family Comedy Sport Romance

Starring: Harold Lloyd (Girl Shy; Safety Last), Jobyna Ralston (Wings; The Kid Brother)

Directed By: Fred C. Newmeyer & Sam Taylor (Slapstick Symposium)

Overview: A naive young man goes off to college in hopes of becoming the most popular boy in school. He soon finds that being on the football team is a necessary step.

Here's another one of the absolute mediocre films I feel I need mention, yet don't feel the need to waste too much of my time with, priorities being what they are in life. Rather than give a long-winded explanation of why this is passably acted in the style of the time, and shot in such a way that the camera serves to do nothing but frame the tale, I'll just tell you this: of all the Harold Lloyd films I was told I had to see 'Before I Died' by a big fat tome, this was the most unimpressive one to date. I don't know if it's because in today's day and age this warm and snugly cliché is about as lively as a necrophiliac's horse, or if it's just that of all the predictable slapsticky gag moments imaginable, this used pretty much every single one.

All in all this was probably so important a film in its time because since then I've seen this movie rehashed about fifty times. "Really? He actually comes through and wins the big game?! NO! What a twist!"

Yeah, not so much.

When a woman does it on the other hand...HOT

Overall Rating: 62% (Kinda Smelly If You Ask Me)

Aftertaste: While looking into this, I read the words 'Harold Lloyd's most loved film,' which makes it obvious to me that the person who wrote it hasn't seen a single other film of his. What's awesome about Lloyd is his stunts. This one really has none of that; it's a cute little story about a dude with a bucket of insecurities trying so hard to be famous that he looks like a gullible goof. What's the lesson here, don't be a dweeb? Thanks I learned that back in the days where I was measuring my wink in junior high.